cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Help needed moving from 2.1.11
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2016 14:17:59 GMT
Peter,

On 1/6/16 6:33 AM, Flynn, Peter wrote:
> ...I think.
>
> I have an existing Cocoon service running 2.1.11 under Tomcat5 and
> Apache in CentOS5 on a very old server, and I now have a new server
> running CentOS6, Apache2, and Tomcat6 that I want to migrate to, but I
> am held up by my lack of understanding of what has been happening to
> Coocon, and I'm an XML person, not a Java person :-)
>
> The existing service is not an "application" in the normal sense: it's
> just a large collection of directories under /var/www/xml, each with its
> own sitemap.xmap, serving a lot of XML documents as HTML via XSLT. Many
> of the documents are in fact HTML, retrieved in real time from elsewhere
> in our site using Tidy in order to force xhtml or HTML5.  The cocoon.war
> is the stock 2.1.11 with no mods except the substitution of saxon9.jar
> so we can use XSLT2.
>
> I would like to be able to update all this to 2.2, and eventually to
> Cocoon 3.0, but the lack of a prebuilt .war file means I am at a loss as
> to how to do this. The existing service simply serves XML converted with
> XSLT2, nothing more: there are no requirements for authentication (it's
> all public), templates, forms, or FOP (we use XSLT2 and XeLaTeX for
> PDFs), and no "applications" as such. The stock 2.1.11 cocoon.war file
> undoubtedly includes vast amounts of stuff we never even go near using,
> but I have no idea what to exclude or include when it comes to building
> a new one in 2.2 or 3.0. The block examples in the 2.2 Tutorials
> *appear* to be vastly more complex than is needed for what we want to do
> (although this may just be my ignorance: in fact Cocoon 1.x always did
> everything we needed!).
>
> A further requirement is obviously robust and working versions of Ant or
> Maven, as in the past I have never been able to get either of these to
> work on the platform available (there have always been unresolvable
> dependencies for libraries simply unavailable). Has anyone ever
> implemented Cocoon 2.2 or 3 on CentOS6?
>
> I have a small budget for help with this, either for training or
> consultancy or both (preferably both so that I can learn). Or do I just
> pick up the current 2.1.11 cocoon.war file and drop it into the new
> system and leave it alone?

Moving from Tomcat 5 on (presumably) an older Java to a newer version
should not be difficult at all. Is there a reason to move to Tomcat 6
and not all the way up to Tomcat 8? Tomcat 6 will be EOL very soon.[1]

If you are going to migrate, you may as well go all the way.

My experience with a Cocoon-only deployment on Tomcat 5 moving all the
way up to Tomcat 8 (I went version by version and wasted a whole lot of
time doing so) was basically just drop the WAR file I already had into
Tomcat's deployment directory and everything worked exactly as expected.
(This included incremental upgrades from Java 1.5 to Java 1.8 as well).

I have a relatively simple Cocoon deployment with only a few dozen
matchers in my pipeline, and two or three separate sitemaps. I also have
a custom RequestParameterModule, but of course that wouldn't be
sensitive to a Tomcat upgrade.

My advice would be to put the latest Java and the latest Tomcat on a
test server and drop your existing application's WAR in there and test
everything. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how painless it is.

As for Cocoon upgrade suggestions, others have made those already in
this thread. Honestly, if it were me, I'd upgrade Java/Tomcat first and
make sure everything works, and then focus on upgrading Cocoon.

-chris

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-60-eol.html