cocoon-users mailing list archives

From GeorgeADoyle <GeorgeADo...@gmail.com>
Subject Accessing Repeater-Action widget attribute values from client-side
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2014 20:55:13 GMT
Hi there,

I am currently working on a system using cocoon 2.1.11.  Using the patch
provided here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2032 I was able
to get the repeater-action widgets using the “sort-by” command to toggle
between sorting in ascending and descending order and turning sorting off.
I wanted to add a visualizer in so that when a user clicks on the widget to
perform a new sort, an image is appended indicating which way it is being
sorted.

I tried to introduce this functionality through the flow script and
discovered that this was an issue because when the client clicks on the
sorting widget, it does not communicate with the server.  I verified this by
unplugging the internet and testing both the sorting and page-navigation
buttons, which all functioned correctly without any internet connection.

This means I will need an entirely client-side solution update the
visualization as the user sorts by different fields.  I realized I could use
cookies, but this would require a lot of over head to track every widget’s
sort state as they change.

I also realized that there must be some client-side mechanism for tracking
this information already, but I don’t have any idea what it is.  Is there
some sort of client-side equivalent to the Form.getChild(String) function,
or some completely different way that I can track the widgets’  attributes’
values from the client side.

thanks,

George Doyle