cocoon-users mailing list archives

From David Legg <david.l...@searchevent.co.uk>
Subject Re: from Cforms to Wicket
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 00:49:38 GMT
All the cool people swear by caniuse.com [1]  ;-)

Another very new resource is the WebPlatform.org site [2] which is in
alpha at the moment but is the first collaboration between all the major
browser manufacturers to document the browser standards and collate bugs.

So to answer Mika's question: HTML5 is already widely supported by
browsers.  Or to put it another way the HTML5 doctype was designed to be
usable without breaking older browsers but also prevent them going into
quirks mode.   Scripts like modernizr [3],  also enable very old
browsers (even IE6!) to partially support some of the more desirable
CSS3 functions.

I don't know about you but 20% of my traffic is mobile based. Whatever
forms you do generate it is looking more and more like you also need to
support Responsive Web Design which adapts to the browser window size
and device input capabilities.  We are living in interesting times at
the moment from a web perspective and for the past year people have been
rushing to 'do responsive' by placing most of the logic client side and
making extensive use of media queries.  Some people are beginning to
wake up to the fact that it might be better to do a little device
detection server-side with a technique that Luke Wrobleski coined 'RESS'
[4]. This is something for which I think Cocoon might be a good solution.

One final thing you may find of interest is a side project of Wicket
which I tinkered with a while ago called WicketWebBeans [5].  I have no
idea if it is still being developed but essentially it dynamically
creates web forms by directly interrogating java beans.  You can tailor
the behaviour according to your needs.

Regards,
David Legg

[1] http://caniuse.com/