cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bart Remmerie <remme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is cocoon dead ?
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2012 20:20:32 GMT
Just being critical & analytical: where die we observe the big drop in community activity
?  Switch to Maven & move from 2.1.11 to next version ? (just a guess) => What can
we learn from this ?

Bart Remmerie

Op 11-nov.-2012 om 18:13 heeft Michael Müller <michael.mueller@mueller-bruehl.de> het
volgende geschreven:

> Francesco,
>
> I observe this list for years now (since I started using Cocon 2.1). And I recongnized
some activities, especially from you. But since a couple of years I'm using a) a different
technology (JSF) for my web pages and b) I'm waiting for Cocoon 3.0 to become ready. Even
there are some acitivies, it seems to be a never ending story.

> I guess it would be helpfull to schedule some dates for beta and release. If it is so
much to do right now, maybe this version might be feature-reduced and some of the planned
features will be postponed to a version 3.1? Otherwise I'm afraid this project is dead - even
though there are some activities.

> If your horse is dead, don't try to ride it anymore. Change the horse. (similar to Dakota
saying)

> Herzliche Grüße - Best Regards,
> Michael Müller
>
> Am 10.11.2012 14:00, schrieb Francesco Chicchiriccò:
>> Hi all,
>> I think e-mails like the one below are not helpful at all.
>>
>> First of all, even though most of critical aspects of our current
>> situation are reported, some things are barely wrong:
>>
>>> down the same page you find the next most recent news is a year and a
>>> half old
>> Open your favorite browser at http://cocoon.apache.org/ and read that
>> latest two news are dated July 2nd and March 3rd 2012
>>
>>> When people ask about C2.x (and the latest released version is 2.2) nobody wants
to talk about it (except others desperate for information about some aspect of C2);
>> Just browse http://cocoon.markmail.org and judge by yourself whether
>> this is true or not.
>>
>>> There are no books on anything later than 2.1, which is about a decade old.
>> Just point again your favorite browser to
>> http://www.apache.org/dist/cocoon/ and you will see that Cocoon 2.1.11
>> was released on Jan 14th 2008.
>>
>>> Perhaps 80% of the official documentation is either TBW or skeletal, and the
only people who know the inside of Cocoon well enough to complete it keep asking others to
do that.