cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Michael Müller <michael.muel...@mueller-bruehl.de>
Subject Re: Is cocoon dead ?
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2012 17:13:37 GMT
Francesco,

I observe this list for years now (since I started using Cocon 2.1). And
I recongnized some activities, especially from you. But since a couple
of years I'm using a) a different technology (JSF) for my web pages and
b) I'm waiting for Cocoon 3.0 to become ready. Even there are some
acitivies, it seems to be a never ending story.

I guess it would be helpfull to schedule some dates for beta and
release. If it is so much to do right now, maybe this version might be
feature-reduced and some of the planned features will be postponed to a
version 3.1? Otherwise I'm afraid this project is dead - even though
there are some activities.

If your horse is dead, don't try to ride it anymore. Change the horse.
(similar to Dakota saying)

Herzliche Grüße - Best Regards,
Michael Müller

Am 10.11.2012 14:00, schrieb Francesco Chicchiriccò:
> Hi all,
> I think e-mails like the one below are not helpful at all.
>
> First of all, even though most of critical aspects of our current
> situation are reported, some things are barely wrong:
>
>> down the same page you find the next most recent news is a year and a
>> half old
> Open your favorite browser at http://cocoon.apache.org/ and read that
> latest two news are dated July 2nd and March 3rd 2012
>
>> When people ask about C2.x (and the latest released version is 2.2) nobody wants
to talk about it (except others desperate for information about some aspect of C2);
> Just browse http://cocoon.markmail.org and judge by yourself whether
> this is true or not.
>
>> There are no books on anything later than 2.1, which is about a decade old.
> Just point again your favorite browser to
> http://www.apache.org/dist/cocoon/ and you will see that Cocoon 2.1.11
> was released on Jan 14th 2008.
>
>> Perhaps 80% of the official documentation is either TBW or skeletal, and the only
people who know the inside of Cocoon well enough to complete it keep asking others to do that.