cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is cocoon dead ?
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2012 13:00:40 GMT
Hi all,
I think e-mails like the one below are not helpful at all.

First of all, even though most of critical aspects of our current
situation are reported, some things are barely wrong:

> down the same page you find the next most recent news is a year and a
> half old

Open your favorite browser at http://cocoon.apache.org/ and read that
latest two news are dated July 2nd and March 3rd 2012

> When people ask about C2.x (and the latest released version is 2.2) nobody wants to talk
about it (except others desperate for information about some aspect of C2);

Just browse http://cocoon.markmail.org and judge by yourself whether
this is true or not.

> There are no books on anything later than 2.1, which is about a decade old.

Just point again your favorite browser to
http://www.apache.org/dist/cocoon/ and you will see that Cocoon 2.1.11
was released on Jan 14th 2008.

> Perhaps 80% of the official documentation is either TBW or skeletal, and the only people
who know the inside of Cocoon well enough to complete it keep asking others to do that.

This is absolutely false for C2.X and only partially true for C3.

Beware, I am not stating that the Cocoon status is healthy, new releases
with bugfixes and new features are regularly made available and
documentation is accurate and complete.
I am only trying to look at the Cocoon project for what it is *today*: a
project with:
 * very few active committers
 * almost no occasional contributors
 * still a lot of interested people: most because they are running an
ancient Cocoon version, few because they've heard of Cocoon only recently

In my opinion, a dead project is a project in which no one is
interested, and Cocoon is not (yet?) that far.

Remembering that Cocoon - like as any other project at ASF - is
exclusively made up by volunteer contribution, I'd rather start a
[DISCUSS] thread to see what needs to be done and who is available to
help instead of such acid and unproductive e-mails.

WDYT?

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò