cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Michele Zanarotti <michele.zanaro...@gruppo4.it>
Subject Apache Cocoon Hangs in Tomcat after multiple requests
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 12:06:14 GMT
Hi.

We have some projects in apache cocoon within a Tomcat environment.
Every project has the same problem:

A sequence of rapid clicks on a link to some pages (containing queries)
makes cocoon hang, and it doesn't
respond anymore until the application is restarted.

If I navigate on some other pages not managed by cocoon everything works
fine. The DB is ok and does not
have pending processes.

Tipical environment is as follows:
os : Debian squeeze
web server : nginx 1.2.0
container : Apache Tomcat Server 6.0.28
framework : Apache Cocoon 2.1.11 (latest stable)
connector : mysql-connector-java-5.0.6-bin.jar
db : mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.61, for debian-linux-gnu (i486)
jvm starting options:
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/lib/tomcat6/conf/logging.properties
-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx128m
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat6/endorsed -classpath
/usr/share/tomcat6/bin/bootstrap.jar
-Dcatalina.base=/var/lib/tomcat6 -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat6
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/lib/tomcat6/temp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

I even tried without nginx, but nothing changed. Even adding some
parameters to JAVA_OPTS
as suggested in similar mails from your archive didn't work
(ref.: http://www.mail-archive.com/users@cocoon.apache.org/msg24091.html).

Cocoon is logging the requests till they have success, but when it hangs
it's not logging anymore.
The only thing is telling me something is jdb, and i see that requests
threads hang,
remaining active/suspended forever for no reason.

We (lately) discovered this bug: it's only in a Tomcat environment. In a
Jetty environment all is working fine.
As Tomcat could be our stable choice (for a lot of reasons), we would
solve this problem without changing
Java server.

Thanks.

--
Michele Zanarotti
T. +39 0498802466 - M.

GRUPPO 4 s.r.l.
Via Carducci, 26 - 35123 Padova - ITALY
T. +39 0498802466 - F. +39 0498808951
www.gruppo4.it

Questa mail, compresi i file allegati, è diretta esclusivamente ai destinatari e può contenere
informazioni confidenziali. Se questa mail viene ricevuta per errore, vi informiamo che qualsiasi
modifica, alterazione, stampa, copia o trasmissione del messaggio o dei file è proibita e
illegale. Vi preghiamo di notificare l'errore rimandandoci questa mail ed eliminando il messaggio
ed il suo contenuto immediatamente.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the intended
recipients and may contain confidential information. If it appears (from the subject matter
or address information or otherwise) that you received this email in error, please note that
any review, dissemination, disclosure, alteration, printing, copying or transmission of this
e-mail or any file transmitted with it is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please notify us
by return email and delete this email and its contents immediately.