cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>
Subject Re: Forms and maps
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:29:05 GMT
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:34:26AM +0200, Derek Hohls wrote:
> It all depends on your environment and the "rate of change". There are
> many back-end systems (running on old but reliable technology) that
> hardly change at all.  However, the web (and now tablets/mobile) has a
> very high rate of change (and expectation of change).  The point here is
> that by using more loosely-coupled modules then you will only have to
> change the parts that really need to be changed; a monolithic approach
> is less amenable to that.

I think this may actually underscore the O.P.'s point.  Changing the
whole world in one go is the monolithic approach.  The modular
approach would enable choosing new mechanisms for new work and
sticking with old, established mechanisms for existing, still-useful
work when that makes sense.  Having to throw out piles of satisfactory
working code just to use a dependency version that still has the
attention of its maintainers is really unwelcome.

I think the complaint is that Cocoon 3 is really Butterfly 1.

Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.