cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Robby Pelssers <Robby.Pelss...@nxp.com>
Subject RE: parent of parent artifact?
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 21:26:47 GMT
Hi Lars,

That is fair to say indeed.  In this case the cocoon instance you are referring to is the
cocoon-servlet which is the main engine for any cocoon webapp.

I am not entirely sure though if the applications you refer to can be considered similar to
the cocoon-blocks.  Although you mount them in a Uber sitemap, I don't think you can invoke
services from 1 to another sitemap in 2.1.x versions of Cocoon although that could be best
answered by the elder Cocoonistas ;-)

Have you ever heard of a WAR overlay?  You could also compare a cocoon app in some sense to
this principle where the final WAR (webapp) is the result of merging all dependencies (cocoon-blocks).
 But it's not really the same though.

A cocoon block typically (but optionally) consists of
 - resources (css / js / ...)
 - Java components
 - Spring application context (where you configure your beans)

It's like LEGO. You build isolated blocks (modules) of functionality but blocks can reuse
each other (by declaring dependencies on each other).

In the final webapp project you include the blocks you need and you package it all together
into a war.

That's the global idea.

Robby