cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Lars Huttar <lars_hut...@sil.org>
Subject How/where to create a sitemap in a generated Cocoon 3 web app?
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 22:59:27 GMT
Hello,

We've been Cocoon 2.1.* users for years. We're now trying to shift to
the Cocoon 3 way of doing things.
I barely understand Maven, but I'm willing to learn.

I've installed Cocoon 3, and can run a sample.

But now I'm having trouble figuring out how to build my own "hello
world" web application.

What I did so far:

|   svn checkout http:||//svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/cocoon3/trunk c3|
      cd c3
|   mvn clean install
    cd cocoon-databases-sample
    mvn jetty:run

I can then access the running databases sample at
     http://localhost:8888/
in the browser.

I've generated the four Maven 2 archetypes as instructed at
http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/download.html
(sample, block, webapp, parent).
I don't understand, though, what each one is for.

For archetype-block, the instruction says "Create an empty Cocoon 3
block in order to create your own Cocoon 3 web application."
But once I've done that, what do I do in the generated block in order to
create a web application?

For archetype-webapp, it says "Create an empty Java web application
project. After that add your Cocoon block as dependency." I guess Cocoon
block refers to the previous thing I generated. How do I add it as a
dependency? I guess I should edit cocoon-archetype-webapp/pom.xml and
add this before </project>:
<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.cocoon.archetype-block</groupId>
<artifactId>cocoon-archetype-block</artifactId>
</dependency>
</dependencies>

For archetype-parent, the instruction says "Create a parent module for
your Cocoon project." Is a project the same as a web application? Does
this mean I should edit the contents of <parent> in
archetype-webapp/pom.xml to point correctly to archetype-parent? (The
<parent> element is present already, but its groupId, artifactId, and
relativePath are a bit off from what would match the parent archetype
generated by the instructions.)

**The main thing I want to know, though,** is where do I start building
a sitemap?
In the working databases sample that I mentioned above, the only place I
find a sitemap is under target/samples/COB-INF.
But the generated archetype-webapp/ folder doesn't have a target
subfolder structure. Is that something I generate using a maven command?

Thanks!
I look forward to using C3, and I feel like if I can get past this
point, I'll be able to start cooking.

Lars