cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Paul Joseph <pjos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: scaling problem
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:12:58 GMT
Actually, now I am wondering if there is a leak in Cocoon 2.1.11...

After the memory used by the JVM reached its max and brought the Tomcat
application to a halt, I I logged out all users and confirmed that the
memory was fully used both using Tomcat's Manager and with the
performance monitoring tool on Windows 2008 R3 (running as a VM on a two
CPU AMD machine).

I noted the time.

One hour later, both the Tomcat manager and the montioring tool, report
no change in memory status--nothing got freed up.

But when I stop the Tomcat service, all the memory is reclaimed...

I paste the details from Tomcat Manager below (FYI)

thx.
Paul
===================
 From Tomcat Manager.

Physical memory: 4095.55 MB Available memory: 245.19 MB Total page file:
9361.70 MB Free page file: 4587.53 MB Memory load: 94
Process kernel time: 17.75 s Process user time: 194.796 s

JVM
Free memory: 83.42 MB Total memory: 3584.00 MB Max memory: 3584.00 MB

"ajp-apr-8009"
Max threads: 200 Current thread count: 0 Current thread busy: 0 Keeped
alive sockets count: 0
Max processing time: 0 ms Processing time: 0.0 s Request count: 0 Error
count: 0 Bytes received: 0.00 MB Bytes sent: 0.00 MB

"http-apr-8080"
Max threads: 200 Current thread count: 10 Current thread busy: 1 Keeped
alive sockets count: 0
Max processing time: 82736 ms Processing time: 226.617 s Request count:
383 Error count: 3 Bytes received: 0.02 MB Bytes sent: 5.02 MB

Start time: Fri Oct 21 09:25:26 EDT 2011 Startup time: 0 ms TLD scan
time: 15 ms
Active sessions: 0 Session count: 0 Max active sessions: 0 Rejected
session creations: 0 Expired sessions: 0 Longest session alive time: 0 s
Average session alive time: 0 s Processing time: 0 ms
JSPs loaded: 1 JSPs reloaded: 1

On 10/21/2011 9:31 AM, Nathaniel, Alfred wrote:
> Java GC tuning is something of a black art.
> The default settings are not suitable for a large servlet container, and they also depend
on the Java version.

> I don't have experience with Java7 but with jdk1.6.0_24 (SPARC Solaris) we are using:
>
> -server -d64 -XX:CodeCacheMinimumFreeSpace=10M -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=100M -Xms6000m
-Xmx6000m -XX:PermSize=300m -XX:MaxPermSize=300m -Xloggc:/home/online/tomcat_cocoon0a_1/logs/gc.log
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:NewRatio=4 -XX:SurvivorRatio=6 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=5
-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=5000

> Look at the gc.log output and GC generation sizes to find out whether you have a memory
leak, too little memory, or are wasting memory.