cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Reijn <j.re...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.2 production server configuration
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 08:59:21 GMT
Hi,

see my comments inline:

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Brecht Schoolmeesters
<brecht.schoolmeesters@zappware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> we are currently using cocoon for transforming source xml files into xml
> files in a different format. The transformations are pretty heavy because
> data from other xml files is inserted and also transformed.
> When using cocoon on our test server, we saw that the memory usage was
> peaking at around 1.1Gb RAM. We were testing with about 10 clients sending
> requests every 1.5second. Is this normal memory usage for cocoon?

That depends. It would be interesting for us to know which version of
Cocoon you are using to begin with. Processing XML can always be quite
memory intensive depending on the size of the XML being processed and
the amount and type of transformations taking place.

> We would also like some more information about the scalability. Will cocoon
> use a lot more memory when a few more clients connect?

I'm not aware of any figures, but every request will of course take
more memory, but I'm not sure what is 'a lot'. That mostly depends on
the kind of transformations your application is doing.

> Which configuration files/settings can we change to enable cocoon to handle
> more requests? We would like to be able to handle about 40requests/second at
> peak times.

I'm not sure, that might depend on the interaction between the client
and the cocoon server. 40 requests/second should definitely be
possible, but that can depend on what Cocoon is doing. Is for instance
the XML processing 'static' in certain situations? Then you might be
thinking of caching the result of a certain pipeline or component
output. That way you will be able to handle a lot more requests per
second.

> What type of server is recommend for this type of usage? How much RAM, CPU
> power?

Hmm that's a good question. I'm not really an infra guys, so I do not
know the specs.

> And one final question: are there any cocoon components that are optional
> and therefore can be disabled? If yes, how can we check which components are
> optional and how can we disable them? Will this help decrease the total
> memory usage?

This might help, but I'm not sure if disabling components will make it
use less memory.  As far as I know most memory will be taken once a
component is triggered in the request cycle.

Cheers,

Jeroen

--
Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam
Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142

US +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)
Europe +31(0)20 522 4466
www.onehippo.com