cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Andre Juffer <ajuf...@cc.oulu.fi>
Subject Cocoon 3: REST
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:11:38 GMT
Hi,

It appears that there are basically two ways of implementing a REST
service with cocoon3. There is the RESTController way and there is the
JAX-RS way. I have tried the latter. If a resource (e.g PersonResource)
is requested, I create a response that uses the string-template
generator to produce an initial XML with person data (like name, etc),
followed by a transformer that converts it to JSON file (the JSON is
basically wrapped inside a single element), followed by a JSONSerializer
(which validates the JSON text) to generate the actual response that is
send back to the client (as application/json). This works just
perfectly. See a previous email [1] with regard to the JSonSerializer
(any comments?).

I am bit wondering why there are two ways of doing REST. The
RESTController looks very much the same as the JAX-RS based resource.
With the controller, I would call the same pipeline (using
URLResponseBuilder) as explained above. The RESTController looks
slightly different, but otherwise does the same thing.

So, what exactly was the reason to have both a RESTController and
JAX-RS-way of approach? Is there a preferred way. Should I assume that
the RESTController would become the preferred way of implementing REST?

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/users@cocoon.apache.org/msg46270.html