cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <scher...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: database access in Cocoon 3?
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 08:53:58 GMT
On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 11:47 -0500, Lars Huttar wrote:
> On 7/28/2011 2:26 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> > On 28/07/2011 00:32, Lars Huttar wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> In the past (Cocoon 2.1) we used XSP pages for database queries to
> >> return results as XML for processing in Cocoon pipelines.
> >>
> >> Looking toward the future with 2.2 and beyond, we saw that XSP pages
> >> were deprecated, so we started using SQL transformer instead.
> >>
> >> With Cocoon 3.0, is the SQL transformer still part of the picture? (I
> >> don't see it among the samples.) Or is there something else that is
> >> recommended for grabbing data from a database as input to a pipeline?
> >
> > Not as far as I know: anyway, nothing obstacles to add it in
> > cocoon-optional or - better - in a separate module.
> > Nowadays there are many choices (JPA, iBatis, ...) not available at
> > the time of the SQL transformer...
> >
> > Regards.
> >

> Thanks for this reply.
> Is there any way I can contribute toward SQL transformer (or a
> replacement) being added to Cocoon 3?

Yes there is. :) Please have a look on my commit r1142136 there I
migrated the "old" DirectoryGenerator.java to c3. With this commit you
can see the main tasks involved.

> I know basic Java development, but am not familiar with the various
> libraries and frameworks involved (spring, maven, avalon, etc.).

I had a quick look on the SQLTransformer and besides the
avalon/excalibur there is not too much rewrite. The basic datasource
would be configured in spring and not in the xconf and the methods
service/configure/setup/recycle/dispose would be removed/adopted to the
c3 way of doing things.

I would estimate 0.5-1 MT for the rewrite including test cases. I am ATM
only able to work on stuff related to my work but I am more then willing
to review and help with the migration via eMail. However the
SQLTransformer is very low on my personal todo because like other
pointed out there a lots of ORM tools which can be quickly integrated
into cocoon and are much more powerful, but the nice thing on the
sqltransformer is that is very generic I admit.

If you are need it quickly integrated/migrated my company codeBusters.es
offers profesional support. just contact me about a quote if you are
interested.

> Some kind of database input is central to the web apps we are developing
> (as it is to most web apps, I suppose), so having this functionality
> early on will determine whether going with C3 is feasible for us.

I agree that such an integration example would be most welcome in a new
module cocoon-db + cocoon-db-sample.

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.at.codebusters.es>
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems

Tel.: +34 954 520 169
http://www.codebusters.es/