cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robby Pelssers" <robby.pelss...@ciber.com>
Subject RE: Cocoon 3 - no conditional pipelines?
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:42:05 GMT

Kind regards,
Robby

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Lars Huttar [mailto:lars_huttar@sil.org]
Verzonden: ma 11-7-2011 21:41
Aan: Cocoon Users List
Onderwerp: Cocoon 3 - no conditional pipelines?

Hi,

As we look at porting one of our applications from Cocoon 2.1 to 3.0,
one thing I saw causes me concern [1]:

> A Cocoon 3 pipeline always goes through the same sequence of
> components to produce its output. There is no support for
> conditionals, loops, tees or alternative flows in the case of errors.
> The reason for this restriction is simplicity and that non-linear
> pipelines are more difficult (or even impossible) to be cached. In
> practice this means that a pipeline has to be contructed completely at
> build-time.
>
> If non-linear XML pipes with runtime-support for conditionals, loops,
> tees and error-flows are a requirement for you, see the XProc
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XProc> standard of the W3C. There are
> several available implementations for it.

Is this still true, that Cocoon 3 pipelines cannot have conditionals or
error flows? or is that obsolete?
Our application occasionally uses <map:select> and <map:handle-errors>,
so this could be an indication that Cocoon 3 will not meet our needs.

On the other hand, the sitemap at

cocoon-all-3.0.0-alpha-3\src\cocoon-sample\src\main\resources\COB-INF\sitemap.xmap
has both <map:select> and <map:handle-errors> in it.

So maybe that sitemap does not represent a sitemap that will work with
Cocoon 3.0? In that case, is there any sample sitemap that will work
with C3? That was the only sample sitemap I had found (except the one
under cocoon-profiling, which has barely anything in it).

Thanks,
Lars

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org//3.0/reference/html-single/index.html#d0e88