cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Frank <franco.p...@tpg.com.au>
Subject Re: database access in Cocoon 3?
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 23:21:37 GMT
Hello,

I would agree on the need of an SQL transformer.

We have a significant investment in 2.1 code using the SQL transformer. We don't intend to
look at cocoon 3.0 until production release (mainly because we are a small group and don't
have the time or resources to evaluate at this stage)
But in order to upgrade our sitemap code to a version that does not have such a transformer
would be too costly. At worst we would have to develop our own transformer when the time comes.

This would not be ideal as i am sure we don't have the same level of expertise in the java/cocoon
3.0 framework as the Apache developers. So I would agree with Lars and request that the team
include an SQL transformer in the framework.

Cheers,
Frank

On 29/07/2011, at 2:47 AM, Lars Huttar wrote:

> On 7/28/2011 2:26 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
>> On 28/07/2011 00:32, Lars Huttar wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> In the past (Cocoon 2.1) we used XSP pages for database queries to return results
as XML for processing in Cocoon pipelines.

>>> Looking toward the future with 2.2 and beyond, we saw that XSP pages were deprecated,
so we started using SQL transformer instead.

>>> With Cocoon 3.0, is the SQL transformer still part of the picture? (I don't see
it among the samples.) Or is there something else that is recommended for grabbing data from
a database as input to a pipeline?

>> Not as far as I know: anyway, nothing obstacles to add it in cocoon-optional or -
better - in a separate module.
>> Nowadays there are many choices (JPA, iBatis, ...) not available at the time of the
SQL transformer...

>> Regards.
>>

> Thanks for this reply.
> Is there any way I can contribute toward SQL transformer (or a replacement) being added
to Cocoon 3?
> I know basic Java development, but am not familiar with the various libraries and frameworks
involved (spring, maven, avalon, etc.).

> Some kind of database input is central to the web apps we are developing (as it is to
most web apps, I suppose), so having this functionality early on will determine whether going
with C3 is feasible for us.