cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C3] Cocoon3 beta-1-SNAPSHOTs available
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 07:36:27 GMT
On 28/07/2011 18:39, Lars Huttar wrote:
> On 7/1/2011 2:19 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
>> On 30/06/2011 18:55, Andre Juffer wrote:
>>> Simo,
>>>
>>> how much of Cocoon 2.2's functionality is still available in Cocoon
>>> 3. Using sitemaps in the 2.2 way is actually rather convenient in a
>>> number of cases. I assume that this all is still possible with
>>> cocoon 3?
>>
>> Hi Andre,
>> the "good old way" to pipelines is still there in Cocoon 3, even
>> though it is - at least at the moment - provided with less components
>> (generators / transformers / serializers) that 2.1 and 2.2.
>>
>> To have an idea about Cocoon 3 features, I suggest you to take a
>> quick look at the sources of C3 sample block [1] and C3 sample web
>> application [2]: if you are familiar with 2.2, you should get easily
>> into the code.
>>
>> Moreover, consider that archetypes are also available, so you can
>> start your own block with:
>>
>> mvn archetype:generate \
>>     -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.cocoon.archetype-block \
>>     -DarchetypeArtifactId=cocoon-archetype-block \
>>
>> -DarchetypeRepository=https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots
>> \
>>     -DarchetypeVersion=3.0.0-beta-1-SNAPSHOT
>>
>> launch it with
>>
>> mvn package jetty:run
>>
>> and access it at http://localhost:8888/
>>
>> Finally, C3 provides a native integration with Wicket in which you
>> can use either the new (java) and old (XML) approach: look at this
>> blog entry [3] for more details.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/cocoon3/trunk/cocoon-sample/
>> [2]
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/cocoon3/trunk/cocoon-sample-webapp/
>> [3]
>> http://chicchiricco.blogspot.com/2011/06/build-rich-xml-enabled-applications.html
>
> Thanks for your patience as I try to wrap my head around the
> conceptual model of Cocoon blocks and Maven artifacts.
>
> To build beta-1-SNAPSHOT artifacts, do I need to first install Cocoon
> beta-1-SNAPSHOT? My guess is, no: Cocoon (beta-1-SNAPSHOT) *is* one of
> the artifacts you can generate. Right?
>
> However, when I run the above "mvn archetype:generate" command, with
> all the -D options, I get the following error:
>
> [ERROR] The goal you specified requires a project to execute but there
> is no POM
>  in this directory (C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation).
> Please verify
> you invoked Maven from the correct directory. -> [Help 1]

This happens because in the command above I did not specify all the
parameters: namely, groupId and artifactId are missing. These two
properties define YOUR project, the one that you are generating from
that archetype, and also the name of the directory that the archetype
will create.

In order to have something equivalent to the command specified in Cocoon
3's download page, you should use instead

mvn archetype:generate \
     -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.cocoon.archetype-block \
     -DarchetypeArtifactId=cocoon-archetype-block \

-DarchetypeRepository=https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots
\
     -DarchetypeVersion=3.0.0-beta-1-SNAPSHOT \
     -DgroupId=com.mycompany \
     -DartifactId=mysample

Please also note that you are *not* building beta-1-SNAPSHOT artifacts,
but you are building your project, generated from an archetype that
refers to Cocoon 3 beta-1-SNAPSHOT artifacts. In fact, you can easily
see that artifacts are available at maven repository at
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/cocoon/.

These artifacts are automatically built and deployed via Apache's
Jenkins CI.

Anyway, I wouldn't suggest to use SNAPSHOT artifacts (either modules and
archetypes) for nothing but exploring, studying, testing, ...

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member