cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Lars Huttar <lars_hut...@sil.org>
Subject Re: database access in Cocoon 3?
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:47:43 GMT
On 7/28/2011 2:26 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> On 28/07/2011 00:32, Lars Huttar wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> In the past (Cocoon 2.1) we used XSP pages for database queries to
>> return results as XML for processing in Cocoon pipelines.
>>
>> Looking toward the future with 2.2 and beyond, we saw that XSP pages
>> were deprecated, so we started using SQL transformer instead.
>>
>> With Cocoon 3.0, is the SQL transformer still part of the picture? (I
>> don't see it among the samples.) Or is there something else that is
>> recommended for grabbing data from a database as input to a pipeline?
>
> Not as far as I know: anyway, nothing obstacles to add it in
> cocoon-optional or - better - in a separate module.
> Nowadays there are many choices (JPA, iBatis, ...) not available at
> the time of the SQL transformer...
>
> Regards.

Thanks for this reply.
Is there any way I can contribute toward SQL transformer (or a
replacement) being added to Cocoon 3?
I know basic Java development, but am not familiar with the various
libraries and frameworks involved (spring, maven, avalon, etc.).

Some kind of database input is central to the web apps we are developing
(as it is to most web apps, I suppose), so having this functionality
early on will determine whether going with C3 is feasible for us.

Regards,
Lars