cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C3 alpha-3 mvn dependency error: cocoon-optional
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:20:33 GMT
Hi Lars,
nice to see that you are putting your hands on Cocoon 3 :-)

See my comments embedded below.

Regards.

On 27/07/2011 22:56, Lars Huttar wrote:
> On 7/27/2011 3:06 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>> Now I'm really in over my head. Searching at
>> http://search.maven.org/#search|ga|1|a%3A%22jersey%22
>> the only artifact there named "jersey" is from group
>> com.cedarsoft.rest, which also has an artifact named "server". Could
>> the project have split "jersey-server" into two parts, and changed to
>> a completely different groupId?? There are no search results for an
>> artifact named "jersey-server".
>
> OK, now I've made it work.
> Besides removing "-SNAPSHOT" from the <version> of the cocoon-optional
> <dependency> in the generated pom.xml,

This problem - wrong version for cocoon-optional in
cocoon-archetype-sample pom.xml - has already been fixed in version
beta-1-SNAPSHOT. Thanks anyway for reporting - and good fix ;-)

> I followed the advice of
> http://jersey.java.net/nonav/documentation/latest/user-guide.html#chapter_deps:
>
> "And the following repositories need to be added to the pom:
>
> <repositories>
> <repository>
> <id>maven2-repository.java.net</id>
> <name>Java.net Repository for Maven</name>
> <url>http://download.java.net/maven/2/</url>
> <layout>default</layout>
> </repository>
> <repository>
> <id>maven-repository.java.net</id>
> <name>Java.net Maven 1 Repository (legacy)</name>
> <url>http://download.java.net/maven/1</url>
> <layout>legacy</layout>
> </repository>
> </repositories>
> "
>
> I added those to the generated pom.xml.

Actually, this is a bit too much: you only need to add

<repositories>
<repository>
<id>maven2-repository.java.net</id>
<name>Java.net Repository for Maven</name>
<url>http://download.java.net/maven/2/</url>
<layout>default</layout>
</repository>
</repositories>

before </project>, at the end of pom.xml.

I've just fixed this in the trunk, thanks again for reporting.

> Now jetty runs... hooray!
> (Although there are still several warnings about logger.)
>
> The instructions at
> http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/download.html
> are also incorrect in that they say "point your browser at
> http://localhost:8080" - For me at least, the port is 8888, and I'm
> pretty sure I didn't do anything special to configure that.

I've fixed this in the documentation for beta-1-SNAPSHOT, thanks: this
means that you will see the fix online at next release.

I don't have permissions to modify
/x1/www/cocoon.apache.org/3.0/download.html on minotaur.apache.org, so I
am not able to fix the online version: is there anyone who can do this
quick fix?

> Question: was I right to add those repositories to my generated
> pom.xml? If so, I'll have to add them to the pom.xml of each of the
> other artifacts I generate: archetype-block, archetype-webapp,
> archetype-parent? Should I instead add them to the Super-POM that I
> read about, and if so, where is that?
>
> Then once I've created all these artifacts, where do I develop my code
> -- under the webapp artifact?
>
> What is the purpose of the parent module that I'm told to create? Does
> it even affect the webapp?
> A similar question goes for the empty cocoon block, and the samples
> block. I guess the empty cocoon block is a dependency for the webapp,
> but what about the others? Do I need to add them as dependencies too?

The logic behind the four available archetypes is very close to Cocoon
2.2 approach [1]: the typical scenario is when you have a single webapp,
and one or more blocks implementing features. In order to group all
these modules together, you need what you are calling "Super-POM" i.e.a
multi-module Maven project. About this, there is an archetype for every
kind of project: block, webapp and parent.

> Sorry to lob so many questions, but I am doing my best to get oriented
> to how Cocoon and its dependencies work, so that I will be able to use
> it effectively and contribute to development where needed.
>
> I will try to blog what I learn (or contribute to Cocoon 3 docs) so
> that others will have an easier time learning the system.

Try-outs, tests, questions and blog posts are very very welcome :-)

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1159_1_1.html

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member