cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Lars Huttar <lars_hut...@sil.org>
Subject Re: C3 alpha-3 mvn dependency error: cocoon-optional
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:56:18 GMT
On 7/27/2011 3:06 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:

> Now I'm really in over my head. Searching at
> http://search.maven.org/#search|ga|1|a%3A%22jersey%22
> the only artifact there named "jersey" is from group
> com.cedarsoft.rest, which also has an artifact named "server". Could
> the project have split "jersey-server" into two parts, and changed to
> a completely different groupId?? There are no search results for an
> artifact named "jersey-server".
>
> Help...
> Lars

OK, now I've made it work.
Besides removing "-SNAPSHOT" from the <version> of the cocoon-optional
<dependency> in the generated pom.xml, I followed the advice of
http://jersey.java.net/nonav/documentation/latest/user-guide.html#chapter_deps:

"And the following repositories need to be added to the pom:

<repositories>
<repository>
<id>maven2-repository.java.net</id>
<name>Java.net Repository for Maven</name>
<url>http://download.java.net/maven/2/</url>
<layout>default</layout>
</repository>
<repository>
<id>maven-repository.java.net</id>
<name>Java.net Maven 1 Repository (legacy)</name>
<url>http://download.java.net/maven/1</url>
<layout>legacy</layout>
</repository>
</repositories>
"

I added those to the generated pom.xml.

Now jetty runs... hooray!
(Although there are still several warnings about logger.)

The instructions at
http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/download.html
are also incorrect in that they say "point your browser at
http://localhost:8080" - For me at least, the port is 8888, and I'm
pretty sure I didn't do anything special to configure that.

Question: was I right to add those repositories to my generated pom.xml?
If so, I'll have to add them to the pom.xml of each of the other
artifacts I generate: archetype-block, archetype-webapp,
archetype-parent? Should I instead add them to the Super-POM that I read
about, and if so, where is that?

Then once I've created all these artifacts, where do I develop my code
-- under the webapp artifact?

What is the purpose of the parent module that I'm told to create? Does
it even affect the webapp?
A similar question goes for the empty cocoon block, and the samples
block. I guess the empty cocoon block is a dependency for the webapp,
but what about the others? Do I need to add them as dependencies too?

Sorry to lob so many questions, but I am doing my best to get oriented
to how Cocoon and its dependencies work, so that I will be able to use
it effectively and contribute to development where needed.

I will try to blog what I learn (or contribute to Cocoon 3 docs) so that
others will have an easier time learning the system.

Lars