cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon 3 - no conditional pipelines?
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 08:39:50 GMT
On 11/07/2011 23:25, Lars Huttar wrote:
> Robby,
> Thanks for your reply.
> It's nice to see another instance of the conditional and error-handling
> sitemap structures.
>
> However we still have a contradiction with section 2.1.1 of the
> documentation [1], and it doesn't seem certain to me which is going to
> "win".
>
> The "linear pipelines" / "no conditionals" statement, AFAIK, is new to
> Cocoon 3.0. So if indeed C3 is intended to continue to allow and support
> conditionality in pipelines, then we have to conclude that
> (a) the "linear pipelines" idea was discussed, and decided upon, and
> added to the documentation, but
> (b) then it was rejected, but has not yet been removed from the
> documentation.
>
> If on the other hand section 2.1.1 is correct, then we can assume that
> (a) the "linear pipelines" idea was discussed, and decided upon, and
> added to the documentation, but
> (b) the consequent changes to the Cocoon code and samples have not all
> been made yet, but will be in the future.
>
> It seems to me that the latter is a little more plausible (that a
> decision has been made but its ramifications have not yet been applied
> throughout the project) than the former (that a decision was made,
> documented, and reversed, but not yet de-documented).
>
> It would be very helpful to hear a definite statement from a Cocoon
> committer or PMC member, before implementing an application that relies
> on conditional pipelines, which may later disappear.

Lars,
a brief outlook to the docbook source of the page [1]

svn info
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/cocoon3/trunk/cocoon-docs/src/docbkx/reference/pipelines.xml

states that this document was last modified by Reinhard in January 2010.

I became member of the PMC more than one year afterwards, so I cannot be
completely sure. but I can suppose that the documentation is simply
outdated since:

   1.   there are no issues on JIRA about marking as deprecated or about
      removing support for "non-linear" stuff
   2. the documentation probably refers to the Pipeline (Java) API

Anyway, I do believe that the definitive answer can only come from
Reinhard, currently on holiday for a couple of weeks more.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member