cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon caching with multiple pipelines
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:59:25 GMT
On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 09:52 +0100, Robin Taylor wrote:
> Hi Thorsten, thanks for the reply.
>
> > "The default algorithm uses a very easy but effective approach to cache
> > a request: The pipeline process is cached up to the most possible
> > point."
> >

> Thats the bit that is not quite clear to me. Does caching take place on
> a per-pipeline basis ? So if I have 2 pipleines, both cacheable, does
> the second pipeline know the state of the cache in the first pipeline ?
> Or does the second pipeline make decisions about caching based entirely
> on its own SourceValidity objects ?

It is on a per pipeline basis more specific per match, where each match
would contain an aggregation of validities. If cacheable each component
used in the match has to return a VALID otherwise the whole is not
cacheable but cached till the NONVALID component.

To use a pipe from another you usually use the cocoon:/ protocol in a
src attribute. in this case the returned SourceValidity is a pipeline
validity and returned as such. So the second "knows" the validity
through the SourceValidity and in case it is VALID would used the cached
representation of the pipe/match.

HTH

salu2
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems