cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Andre Juffer <ajuf...@sun3.oulu.fi>
Subject Re: Adding my Java code to flowscript
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2011 17:27:36 GMT
On 01/25/2011 06:57 PM, Des Magner wrote:
> Hi André
>
> That is more or less what I was trying to achieve, ie. write Java code that
> can be used in my flowscript but for this Java code to be completely
> independent of cocoon. From reading the documentation I was given
> to understand that this code could be compiled on the fly which would
> of course speed up development time (See the documentation link I referenced
> in the original post). I have never had any problem using standard Java
> classes, such as ArrayList, etc. in flowscript, the problem is accessing
> classes that I have written. So as far as I can see there are three options
> outlined below, the third one being the only one I have been able to
> successfully achieve.
>
> Option 1: Have your code compiled on the fly, specifiying in cocoon.xconf a
> classpath as to where it should look for source code. I cannot get this to
> work and this was why I posted the message in the first place. In more
> detail this is what I do:
>
> Add the following to cocoon.xconf:
>
> <flow-interpreters default="javascript" logger="flow">
>    <component-instance
> class="org.apache.cocoon.components.flow.javascript.fom.
> FOM_JavaScriptInterpreter"
> name="javascript">
>
> <load-on-startup>resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/
> javascript/fom/fom_system.js</load-on-startup>
>      <reload-scripts>true</reload-scripts>
>      <check-time>4000</check-time>
>      <classpath>file:/path/to/my/java/src</classpath>
>    </component-instance>
> </flow-interpreters>
>
> Javascript in my flowscript:
>
> var resource = new Packages.mypackage.xyz.MyClass();
>
> Throws the following exception:
>
> org.mozilla.javascript.EcmaError: TypeError:
> [JavaPackage mypackage.xyx.MyClass] is not a function,
> it is org.mozilla.javascript.NativeJavaPackage.
>

> Option 2: Complile my code to the my application's WEB-INF/classes
> directory (or alternatively place it in a jar file in the application's
> WEB-INF/lib directory. This I also tried but to no avail.
>
> Option 3: Place the compiled classes in the cocoon's own classes folder.
> When I do this I can indeed access my Java classes from flowscript.
> But this for me is the least desireable solution as it requires me to
> mix my own class files with cocoons class files which I don't consider
> elegant nor correct. And also, cocoon would need to be restarted
> everytime I make a modication to my Java classes.

I have only experience with option 3, I cannot say so much about the
other options. If you use cocoon 2.2, the dependency goes in the
pom.xml. With earlier versions, one can write an ant script to ensure
that the jar file (say test.jar) is deposited in WEB-INF/lib. This all
certainly works very well and, to me (not to you apparently), is the
simplest and easiest way.

It is correct that you would need to restart cocoon after a modification
to your classes. On the other hand, if you have designed your classes
well, and tested well, you can bring this down to a minimum. For a new
project, I never start with cocoon, but work on a proper design and
implementation of the domain and rules, and, if needed, basic
infrastructure (database, etc) as well. When start to use cocoon, I am
rather certain that every already works well (classes in the jar, that is).

BTW which version of cocoon are you using?

I also wonder about your design. You say you are required to mix your
classes with cocoon classes. Why is that necessary? I may have
misunderstood you.