cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Hugh Sparks" <h...@csparks.com>
Subject Re: [C3] Reloading the sitemap
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 06:52:08 GMT
> Steven Dolg writes:
>> [...]
>> However I would guess that's rather far from the
>> current use-cases
>> [...]

Quite right:
I'm very interested in a departure from current use-cases:
I want to use Cocoon to configure and maintain a live site
where changes can be made with minimal or no interruptions.

Although not as nice as reloading the sitemap alone,
I found a satisfactory solution by having the servlet
container automatically reload the whole spring context
when the sitemap changes.

Using Tomcat, this can be done very concisely:

myWebapp/META-INF/context.xml:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <Context reloadable="true">
        <WatchedResource>sitemap.xmap</WatchedResource>
    </Context>

Alternatively, it can be done with a context file in tomcat/conf:

tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/myWebapp.xml:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <Context docBase="Absolute path to myWebapp" reloadable="true">
        <WatchedResource>Absolute path to myWebapp/sitemap.xmap</WatchedResource>
    </Context>

The deed can also be done using maven-jetty-plugin and a ScanTarget element:

myWebapp/pom.xml:
    <plugin>
        <groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
        <configuration>
            <scanIntervalSeconds>5</scanIntervalSeconds>
            <scanTargets>
                <scanTarget>${webapp.root}/sitemap.xmap</scanTarget>
            </scanTargets>
        </configuration>

I haven't yet found a solution when using Jetty without Maven.

It would be nice if Spring could do a trick like this.
I'm not really happy with methods that depend on the servlet container...

Thanks,

-Hugh Sparks