cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Huib Verweij <...@home.nl>
Subject Re: Very large Generator file
Date Tue, 11 May 2010 08:51:16 GMT
Hi Jeff,

You wrote: "I guess I was under the impression that SAX based xsl transformers didn't use
much memory regardless file size, but perhaps that's not true?"

It's true. However, when you do a XSLT transformation the entire XML document needs to be
available to the XSLT processor, because you can access any node in the document, e.g. "/very/large/path/to/some/dark/corner/of/the/XML/node".

I'm not sure about your use-case so I don't know if it will help, but you could try using
the MultiFragmentTraxTransformer from the cocooncomponents project on Google code. It reduces
memory consumption drastically by allowing you to specify a fragment in the XML that you want
transformed. If you have a very large document that looks like this:

<root>
   <item/>
   <item/>
    <item/>
</root>

and all you want to do is transform the <item/> elements then the MultiFragmentTraxTransformer
is your friend.

Huib.