cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robby Pelssers" <robby.pelss...@ciber.com>
Subject RE: Lowering in amount of users' posts?
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:12:14 GMT
Maybe the learning curve got a bit steeper for Cocoon2.2 but I disagree that this is inherent
to Cocoon itself.  Cocoon2.2 still allows you to do use the sitemap as before and building
a complete webapp with optional usage of
-          Flowscript/jxtemplate
-          Cocoon forms
-          Xslt
-          …
without ever having to write a single line of Java.

It took me 1 week to completely make the switch from Cocoon2.1.11 to Cocoon2.2. And building
blocks and wiring them up  (dependencies) in the servlet-context.xml is really simple.

The switch to Maven is a generic tendency seen in all open source projects, so not only Cocoon….
Who will tell when we all switch to Craddle (and have to learn yet another build tool and
programming language Groovy).

And the switch from Avalon to Spring was also a complete logical step… it has become the
de facto standard for doing dependency injection and it comes bundled with a lot of usefull
integration classes for most frameworks (Castor, XStream, Quartz, …) and AOP.   And for
the ones who still think the only decent JVM language is Java… think twice.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_JVM_languages

If you ask me this discussion is more about people resisting change in Software development
in general because they have to adapt (again) to new technologies.

Cheers,
Robby Pelssers