cocoon-users mailing list archives

From David Legg <david.l...@searchevent.co.uk>
Subject Notes on getting Cocoon 3.0.0-alpha-2 sample app running
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:24:27 GMT
Here are some notes I made while trying to get started with the Cocoon 3
alpha 2 sample apps running under Windows XP using Maven.

Hopefully it might help others like me starting down the C3 road and
serve as a record of the corrections needed to the current documentation ;-)

The place to go for documentation on running the sample apps is the
Cocoon 3 download page [1].  The simplest way to get the sample app up
and runnning is to use Maven to do the heavy lifting.  As the
documentation mentions under the 'Maven 2 archetypes' heading you have
to type the following line to create the sample block: -

  mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:1.0-alpha-7:create

    -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.cocoon.archetype-sample
    -DarchetypeArtifactId=cocoon-archetype-sample
    -DarchetypeVersion=3.0.0-alpha-2
    -DgroupId=com.mycompany
    -DartifactId=mysample

Note: you have to place everything on one line before pasting it into a windows DOS box or
else only the first line will get executed.

This should proceed correctly and a new directory will appear called 'mysample' which you
should change into for the next part.

I tried typing 'mvn jetty:run' to execute the sample app but I kept getting a couple of Maven
dependency errors: -

   com.sun.jersey:jersey-core:jar:1.0.3
   com.sun.jersey:jersey-server:jar:1.0.3

Never having heard of Jersey[2] before (the new Restful API reference implementation and not
the place or the item of clothing!) I looked it up and noticed the dependencies page[3] which
led me to add the following to the pom.xml file just below the <packaging> tag: -

<repositories>
  <repository>
    <id>maven2-repository.dev.java.net</id>
    <name>Java.net Repository for Maven</name>
    <url>http://download.java.net/maven/2/</url>
    <layout>default</layout>
  </repository>
  <repository>
    <id>maven-repository.dev.java.net</id>
    <name>Java.net Maven 1 Repository (legacy)</name>
    <url>http://download.java.net/maven/1</url>
    <layout>legacy</layout>
  </repository>
</repositories>

After this I could successfully run the sample app... but only after
looking in the correct URL ;-)  The documentation[1] gives the wrong
one.  The Jetty server is set up to actually run at http://localhost:8888

Hope this helps.

Regards,
David Legg