cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.scherler....@juntadeandalucia.es>
Subject Re: Use Case for Cocoon with JSF?
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:01:01 GMT
On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 23:43 -0800, Ralph Goers wrote:
> Actually, I could agree with that, although there are other choices - such as having
GWT use JSON objects.  As I reread your comment it occurs to me that you are actually agreeing.
Using Cocoon to generate and process XML is what it excels at. Feeding that XML to a UI component
is certainly a great way to use Cocoon. But there are better choices now other than having
Cocoon manage the whole web page or site and dynamically generate the page content.

I am using lately wicket for gui development, that combined with cocoon
for presentation and transformation via cocoon3 (thanks to Reinhard for
the wicket block) is a pretty solid and efficient solution.

However JSF has its use cases IMO when a very high degree of control of
the ui is needed but it comes with the price of maintaining lots of
mapping files. I agree with Ralph that GWT is much nicer for that.

salu2

> Ralph
>
> On Dec 17, 2009, at 7:36 AM, Andreas Kuehne wrote:
>
> > Hi Ralph,
> >
> > I would like to give a slightly different view :
> >
> > As a server for XML requests coming from the Ajax UI implementation ( and probably
serving the web pages ) Cocoon _is_ the recommended way to serve a state-of-the-art UI !

> > Greetings
> >
> > Andreas

this year we did some benchmarking by creating some portlets using JSF and IceFaces and determined
that they would not even come close to scaling to our requirements. The same use cases reimplemented
using Spring MVC and JQuery or GWT had no problem scaling.   If your use cases are heavy-weight
applications with multi-page flows then JSF would still make sense, especially if your load
isn't all that high.

> > As for using Cocoon for the UI, given the state of UI technologies I don't think
I'd recommend Cocoon for that any more. However, for manipulating XML-based content it is
still a great way to go. For example, converting content in a CMS from XML to HTML, PDFs,
etc.

> > Ralph
> >
> > On Dec 17, 2009, at 6:34 AM, Wendy Bossons wrote:
> >
> >> I take it no one can come up with a use case for Cocoon with JSF. . . so I will
consider my rewrite as a new JSF application, without Cocoon. That seems to make the most
sense.

> >> ..\Wendy
> >>

> >> Wendy Bossons
> >> Web Developer
> >>
> >> Contact Information:
> >> wbossons@mit.edu
> >> 617-253-0770

Cocoon based and has a significant code base . . . I would like to create a JSF frontend to
this application, have been given the go ahead to do so.

integrating JSF and Cocoon (circa 2004) . . . and in the end, these end up back in the Cocoon
pipeline as XML/XSL transformations. So I'm wondering what's the use case for integrating
the two? My initial hope was to simplify the user interface and to take advantage of the many
features of some extended JSF framework like IceFaces.

JSF if it all ends up in an XSL transformation in Cocoon?

de la InformaciĆ³n, S.A.U. (SADESI)