cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steven Dolg <steven.d...@indoqa.com>
Subject Re: Image transcoding using cocoon
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 09:41:31 GMT
Javier Rodriguez (genaker) schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I need to implement a transcoding of images (resolution and format) for
> an application based in cocoon. Theses images are taken from an URL. I
> am thinking in several solutions but I don't know witch is the most
> appropriate:
>
> 1. Implement the transcoding as a separate servlet and make some
> redirection to this servlet from the sitemap
>
> 2. Implement my own transcoding stuff using cocoon: 1 generator that
> load a binary image into an XML stream, 1 or several transcoding (1 for
> size , another for type etc...) and 1 serialize to generate the new
> binary image
>
> The first option is more efficient but less integrated. And the second
> option is more modular and integrated ...
>
> Do you have some experience in this kind of developments?

Well I started to create some image processing for Cocoon 3, however
this is somewhat dormant right now. (Not to technical problems, tho)
But I simply assume, that you want to use this for Cocoon 2.x, so those
components would not be of any help.

The two options you mentioned above are certainly possible. (I'd prefer
the first one)
However you could also write a reader component and handle all the
processing in it. This would eliminate the need to (de)serialize the
image from/to XML between the components and still be "fully integrated".

Having said that, there is already
org.apache.cocoon.reading.ImageReader, which might or might not provide
all the necessary operations you want.
This also provides an example on manipulating images using Java2D and
ImageIO.

hth,
Steven