cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Webapp structure
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:27:10 GMT
Ivan:

This is exactely the questions I had when I started with cocoon. It will
help a bit (IMO) to think in terms of operating system. Cocoon web
application is like an operating system, it does nothing by it's self
except managing the resources and communicating with the underlying
servlet container, so we can call it cocoon platform. Now, the platform
is very generic piece of software an does nothing by itself, so we need
programs to run (utilities). In cocoon world, we call these utilies
blocks. Like an operating system managing process communications
internally and allow programs to talk to each others, cocoon does the
same thing to the blocks. Every block runs in its own space, and cocoon
allows them to talk to each other to deliver some functionality.

If you are into linux, you should be familiar with utilities and how
they communicate (ie. pipes). This is exaclty the same concept but
instead of pipes cocoon uses sax events.

A block in cocoon can be created in anyway. It's just a jar file with
specific layout. We don't really need maven to create this jar, but
maven makes it easy, and less errors. You can still create a block
manually, file by file, and then zip them in a jar file, and there we
go. Maven helps us manage the blocks dependencies as well. Cocoon web
applications and the blocks are not dependent on maven, but it's easier.

I hope this help.