cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Steven D. Majewski" <sd...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: Character entities
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 20:37:58 GMT

On May 19, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Alexis Georges wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have an XHTML page which contains my email address converted to
> numbers (a -> &#97, etc...). (Is there another recommended way to
> obfuscate an email address?)
>
> When I check the source from the browser, I see actual letters, not
> numbers. Which of Cocoon and Saxon (XSLT) is most likely doing the
> conversion?
>
> Thanks?

That encoding is probably being handled at a lower level by the XML
parser.
The higher levels like XSLT shouldn't even see a difference in the
encoding,
and once it's an event in cocoon's SAX pipeline, there's no way to
recover
how it was originally encoded.

If you want that literally in your output, maybe what you want is to
escape
the encoding with something like:  &amp;#97

( But I doubt that encoding is an effective way to obfuscate your email.
   It's likely any smart robot can also handle the encoding. )

-- Steve Majewski / UVA Alderman Library