cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Søren Krum <soren.k...@uninett.no>
Subject configuring between blocks
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:31:35 GMT
Hi!

i try to migrate an old cocoon application (started with 2.0, and was
migrated to 2.1 at least partly, will say with least possible efford...)

As a matter of fact, i try to modularize our application and with that i
run in some problems.

So long we had a central cocoon.xconf, and in that one we configured
some data sources, which was afterwards used in the whole application.
While modularizing, i know that would be best to equip each of my new
blocks with its own data sources. but nevertheless, i like the idea of
configuring the database accesses in a central place, so i do not have
to run through all blocks to check if they get informed of the change.

Now i do not really know how to configure these sources in the new
cocoon world, i did not find something like the cocoon.xconf in the
archetype sample block, and i do not want to blindly copy the whole old
configuration file. It seems that a lot of configuration which was once
written in this xconf file is no longer necessary.

Will that work if i take the data source configuration from the old file
(and just this part), create a new cocoon.xconf, and place that,  yes,
where in my new central block do i place it? I would guess under
src/main/resources/META-INF/cocoon/xconf/

And if i want to access a data source defined in the central block let
us say from another block named target, i would have to do as follows:

- reference central in the block-service-service.xml of target block
- access the source i.e. from the sitemap of target block with something
like that:
  <map:match pattern="apps">
    <map:generate src="apps-sql.xml" />
     <map:transform type="sql" label="debug">
       <map:parameter name="use-connection"
value="servlet:central:<name_of_datasource>" />
       <map:parameter name="show-nr-of-rows" value="true" />
       <map:parameter name="clob-encoding" value="UTF-8" />
     </map:transform>
     <map:transform src="apps2html.xsl" />
     <map:serialize type="html" />
   </map:match>

Here i could probably need some help with the string of parameter
"use-connection". What i wrote in there is a wild guess.

I know much text and many questions, but as they all are connected to
each other, i decided to post them in one.

I tried to figure this out by reading the documentation, but did not
succeed :-( Any hint is appreciated.

Best regards

--
Søren D. Krum
Systemutvikler/system developer

There are 10 different kind of people in the world, those who understand binary and those
who don't