cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ken Starks <...@lampsacos.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: XSLT is Dead ?!
Date Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:32:29 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> hi Derek,
>
> Comparing XSLT with JSP is like comparing pears and apples. XSLT is
> quite useful for some tasks and weak in others. The same apply for JSP.
> We still use XSLT even if you have JSP at hand. In cocoon particular
> wolrd, perhaps he should compare JSP with XSP.
>
> I did not read the whole article, but looks the author forgot there is a
> XSLT 2.0. Anyway, who cares? ;)
>
> About freemaker, I guess there are some threads about it in our mail
> archive [1].
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Antonio Gallardo.
>
> [1] http://cocoon.markmail.org/search/?q=freemaker

I hardly think 'pears and apples' are a good simile, they are far too
similar to one
another.  Perhaps  'oranges and  apples'   or even  'sausages and
marmalade'.

By the way, sausages and marmalade go very well together.

My main complaint is that XSP is deprecated in Cocoon 2.2, in fact it
seems to
be sneered-at.  For me, it provides just the tiny amount of Java I need
- I still
don't want to learn the language thoroughly. It comes below both ruby
and even
Acrobat javascript for me. Python has always been more useful, and now the
adobe Flex environment looks pretty alluring - in all of these I use
XML, and
often it is obtained from a localhost Cocoon pipeline.

Cocoon 2.1.x  - love it
XSLT (2) - love it
XSP - love it
Eclipse, XML, XML-Schema, other XML tools - love 'em all !

Cocoon 2.2 - too much java needed, not backward-compatible enough,
(Database connection) a few other grumbles.
will re-evaluate it in 12 months or so, but I have already wasted too
much time for this year
Cocoon 2.3 - not powerful enough for my needs, last time I looked

Bye for now,
Ken.