cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Fernando" <frr...@easyjob.net>
Subject Is Cocoon the right tool?
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:15:23 GMT
Hi,

First of all, I'm  a newbie, so please bear with me in case any question is
unacceptably idiotic. O:-)

<newbie-asbestos-underwear>

I'm considering Cocoon for a new project, but being completely new to this
area I'm not 100% sure if it's the right tool for the job.

I need to generate complex documents from an xml file. There are 2 steps in
the doc generation:

(a) Step 1: No formatting is applied, only the content and structure of the
original xml doc is transformed by a series of hairy rules. I was planning
to use Jess (www.jessrules.com) for this first part and generate a  final
xml doc, ready for step 2.

(b) Step 2: The document created by step 1 should be rendered into a
gazillion different formats (different layout, fonts, styles, etc...). The
output should be: RTF, PDF and HTML. MS Word .DOC would be a plus, but not
necessary.

Can Cocoon help with Step 2 without requiring significant programming on my
side? Where can I find examples of layout and format definitions for Cocoon?

</newbie-asbestos-underwear>

Thanks in advance,
Fernando