cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Reijn <j.re...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Forms builder
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:24:37 GMT
Hi Oleg,

as far as I can remember there used to be an eclipse plugin for Cocoon
forms, which could be used to create forms. See [1] for more
information. I'm not really sure it the project still exists/is alive,
but there was an effort to create something like it.

[1]http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/eclipse-lepido/

Regards,

Jeroen

Konovalov, Oleg wrote:
> Job,
>
> What I need is a Forms Builder tool (probably visual stylesheet editor,
> so non-tech user can take XML Schema, select elements he needs, lay them on the screen,
> add some validations including individual fields and field1+field2+...=total)
> and be able to submit that info to the host.
>
> That's what Altova StyleVision does, but it's only ActiveX/IE.
>
> AFAIK, there is no tool like that in Cocoon world (if not, please correct me!)
> It probably should be an Eclpse plugin, I can't build it myself. :-(
>
> Chiba doesn't have such tool.
> Orbeon has Forms Builder in alpha (can't even save generated Xforms file yet).
>
> IBM free Visual Xforms Designer/XML Form Generator seem to be in beta and long abandoned
> (Eclipse 3.2 only)
>
> I started looking at IBM Lotus Forms (eForms).  Any idea about it ?
> Does it require some IBM servers (e.g. WS portal)?
>
> Thank you,
> Oleg.

a project called chicoon integrating Chiba with cocoon. But that was a long time ago with
older versions.

> I did play with the Orbeon form builder, my first impression was that it was very promising.
But because XFORMS aren't widely accepted yet I saw no need in using them while there was
a perfectly good form solution within cocoon.

> So the question you should probably be asking yourself is do I want cocoon, or just a
form utility?

> Regards,
>
> Job
>
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Konovalov, Oleg <oleg.konovalov@citi.com> wrote:
>> Job,
>>
>> I was able to get a fair amount of info on Orbeon, but on Chiba - it's
>> almost nothing: most links are broken (demo, etc.), I can't gather
>> much at all. Could you recommend a good source of info?
>>
>> Have you tried Orbeon Form Builder ?  What's your impression ?
>>
>> Have you tried Lotus Forms ?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Oleg.

the layout is done by stylesheets?  The forms essentially only contain the field definition
and any logic required to validate or alter/display their values. FWIW, I have a small Python
program that creates basic forms (and the logic my app uses to manipulate them) from an SQL
statement.

>>> Derek

"Konovalov, Oleg " <oleg.konovalov@citi.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Are you aware of any tool which allows to build CForms graphically, similar to
how many Eclipse plugins ?
>>> We have a limited set of XML fields, need to create (or find) a tool to build
forms through the GUI for non-programmers.
>>> If not, how would you build such a tool, any building blocks ?
>>> Any help is very appreciated.
>>> TIA,
>>> Oleg Konovalov
>>> Email: oleg.konovalov@citi.com
>>>

>>> --
>>> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail
legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.