cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ken Starks <...@lampsacos.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Where is cocoon going ?
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:29:52 GMT
Mark Lundquist wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Nick Baumberger wrote:
>
>> Dear Cocoon-ers,
>>
>> Can somebody tell me where cocoon is heading after release 2.2 ? I
>> did not follow the mailing list for around a year, being back now I
>> am shocked by the recent announcement regarding cocoon 3 which seems
>> to me a complete break with what has been achieved so far - or have I
>> just missed something ?
>
> Anyway — over the last few years there have been many discussions as
> well as a couple of experiments in the directions of (a) making Cocoon
> more lightweight (e.g. fewer dependencies, smaller memory footprint
> and/or less configuration) and/or simpler (in design and/or usage),
> and/or (b) just recasting the core concepts of Cocoon (e.g. pipeline,
> sitemap etc.) into different forms to see what sort of system would
> result and what it would be like to use.

<snip>

> That's my story based on my interpretation of the email threads I've
> followed on the dev list over the last few years (especially recent
> months), I hope it helps.  Hopefully some developer(s) can chime in
> here and let you know whether I've actually clarified things, or
> muddied the waters even worse :-)
>
> cheers,
> —ml—

Aren't these objectives part of Cocoon 22 also ?  I though part of the
rationale for blocks was that
they are--beyond a small core-- optional and modular, you don't have to
have any you don't need.

So building a 'lightweight' cocoon App would be part of Cocoon 22
already. Or are the core
dependencies of 2.2 already too heavy a footprint ?