cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ken Starks <...@lampsacos.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Not able to create and test cocoon2.2 webapp with maven/jetty
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:24:50 GMT

Ken Starks <ken@lampsacos.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Luca Morandini wrote:
>
>> jantje wrote:
>>
>>> So on the internet I am searching ways to generate
>>> cocoon webapp from my blocks. There I have found the install
>>> instruction and
>>> the advice to use it.. So do you think there is a better way to
>>> generate a
>>> webapp. And do you advice me not to install my seperate blocks?
>>>
>> I'm not sure to get what you mean... but the idea is to create a
>> Cocoon webapp by using the cocoon-archetype-webapp and then declare
>> the needed blocks in its pom.xml, not to generate webapps from blocks.
>>
>> You may look at an example of said steps in:
>> http://www.lucamorandini.it/fins/installation.html
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --------------------
>>    Luca Morandini
>>

> Hello Luca,
>
> My main interest is in making a wider variety of diagram than
> those used in 'business graphics'. This is because there is quite a number
> of utilities already in that corner of the market. But your
> project is still of interest to me.
>
> I was wondering whether you have an xml-schema, or a good bunch of
> samples of the source XML files you use in Fins.
>
> My interest would be to go to a PDF  edition of the charts without passing
> through SVG, and using LaTeX and friends rather than FOP.

TeXML. Its quite a thin wrapper round LaTeX.

First you write a specimen LaTeX file of the kind you wish to have.
Secondly you  rewrite it so the absolute maximum functionality is in the
header as
\newcommand{....}[]{....},
and the main body consists mainly of calls to these commands.

You are then ready to write your  XSL-T file, (xml2texml.xsl) which is
what you put
into cocoon.  It is easier, and also a better 'separation of concerns'
to make this file
import your preamble than to generate it in situ.

Let us say your source is Foo.xml;  you create a match for *.texml in
the usual way.
As we are in cocoon at this stage, you can of course use any generator.
It doesn't
have to be an xml file.

You don't need to worry about the serializer really. The texml output
that you need
from Cocoon is an xml format.

A python script then downloads Foo.texml, turns it into Foo.tex. This is
a task that is to complex,
as far as I know, for XSLT, but if someone wants to rewrite it in java
and stick it in a
cocoon block, I certainly won't stop them!

When you run this tex file, it will import the preamble bit as usual, so
long as it is  in
the right place, client-side.

Now I would be the first to admit that TeXML is not easy to work with.
You need
all the usual lateX skills, plus tolleration for some pretty peculiar
syntax.

But you  _do_  get a fully automatic path from xml to pdf  in the end,
and unlike
most other systems you have the possibility of generating PDF-forms,
injecting
javascript and so on, assuming you can already do that in LaTeX.