cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ken Starks <...@lampsacos.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: RCL. Help needed with the rapid class reloader
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:00:18 GMT
Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> Ken Starks wrote:
>> I am still working through the introductory tutorials for Cocoon 2.2,
>> together with watching the screencast by Grzegorz Kossakowski.
>>
>> According to my version, this is Task 8 (see below), but whatever I do,
>> I get a resounding NO to both questions at the end.
>> NO -- RCL [UPDATE] in the console
>> NO -- change in the browser
>>
>> Can someone please do one of the following:
>>    confirm it doesn't work for them either   OR
>>    confirm that it works for them, 'out of the box'  OR
>>    explain exactly how to configure things so it does work.
>>

>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>

>> Task 8. myBlock2{changing a spring-bean)
>> In this task, we make some minor changes to a java file, and observe
>> the effect in
>> both the Maven console and in the Browser.
>> If the RCL `class reloader' is working, the changes should happen
>> without
>> stopping Jetty.
>>
>> checklist
>> --------
>> * select myBlock2 in Eclipse
>> * mvn jetty:run
>> * see what happens in the console and the browser
>> * edit myBean.java
>> * see what happens when you save it
>>     + watch the output in the maven console
>>        ? Did you get a RCL [UPDATE] message ?
>>     + refresh http://localhost:8888/myBlock2/spring-bean
>>        ? did the browser show your edits ?
>

> Once I saw it failing because the automatic compilation of Java
> sources was turned off. Can you make sure that all classes are
> compiled to ./target/classes?

Thanks for such an ultra-fast response.
my ./target/classes/  directory indeed contains no classes. it just gets
a chain of empty directories, as you would expect,
corresponding to my GroupId and artifactId.

Unfortunately i do not know how to 'make sure all classes are compiled
there', beacuse i have not
learned Java yet. Can you explain?

My working environment is usually Maven, Eclipse, and the 'Maven
integration for eclipse' plugin from
http://m2eclipse.sonatype.org/
But any sort of explanation would be VERY gratefully recieved.