cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C2.2 - Cannot remove jar files from classpath using Maven
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:04:26 GMT
David Legg wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
>> Just for getting it clear - is 'myblock' some block, or are you
>> listing dependencies for the whole web-application, since there could
>> be a dep on commons-logging wich is not mentioned out of 'myblock'
>>

> I realised my message was a bit ambiguous after I sent it.
>
> To be clear, 'myblock', is *exactly* the same as 'myBlock1' in the
> tutorial [1].  All I did to get the dependency tree listing was to add
> some <exclusion> tags to the myblock/pom.xml file to exclude
> commons-logging and log4j jar files from all of the dependencies listed
> in the pom.  The reason I'm flagellating myself like this is because I
> need to effectively replace these two jar files with some slf4j
> equivalents that redirect log messages created using legacy
> (commons-logging and log4j) code to the slf4j logging framework.
>
> Since that message and thanks to the hint about 'mvn dependency:tree'
> from Reinhard I've realized that only cocoon-core has a dependency on
> those two jar files.  I updated pom.xml to only have the <exclusion>
> tags on cocoon-core and now the dependency tree shows no reference to
> the two jar files I wanted to be excluded.
>
> This is great!... but my quest to use slf4j as my logging solution is
> still not fulfilled.  The question now is why when I run 'mvn package'
> or 'mvn jetty:run' when in the myblock directory does maven insist on
> placing the commons-logging and log4j jar files into WEB-INF/lib even
> though I've expressly excluded them?  Maybe the answer has something to
> do with the cocoon-maven-plugin?

What WEB-INF/lib directory are you referring to? Is it
./target/rcl/webapp/WEB-INF/lib or is it the WEB-INF/lib directory of
the web application Maven module?

If it is the first, the answer is that the wrapper web application (a
minimal web application that wraps a block) uses the reloading
classloader (commons-jci.jar) which has a dependency on commons-logging.

If it is the latter case, I recommend running mvn dependency:tree from
your webapplication module.