cocoon-users mailing list archives

From David Legg <david.l...@searchevent.co.uk>
Subject Re: C2.2 - Cannot remove jar files from classpath using Maven
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:50:24 GMT
Hi Patrick,

> Just for getting it clear - is 'myblock' some block, or are you listing dependencies
for the whole web-application, since there could be a dep on commons-logging wich is not mentioned
out of 'myblock'

I realised my message was a bit ambiguous after I sent it.

To be clear, 'myblock', is *exactly* the same as 'myBlock1' in the
tutorial [1].  All I did to get the dependency tree listing was to add
some <exclusion> tags to the myblock/pom.xml file to exclude
commons-logging and log4j jar files from all of the dependencies listed
in the pom.  The reason I'm flagellating myself like this is because I
need to effectively replace these two jar files with some slf4j
equivalents that redirect log messages created using legacy
(commons-logging and log4j) code to the slf4j logging framework.

Since that message and thanks to the hint about 'mvn dependency:tree'
from Reinhard I've realized that only cocoon-core has a dependency on
those two jar files.  I updated pom.xml to only have the <exclusion>
tags on cocoon-core and now the dependency tree shows no reference to
the two jar files I wanted to be excluded.

This is great!... but my quest to use slf4j as my logging solution is
still not fulfilled.  The question now is why when I run 'mvn package'
or 'mvn jetty:run' when in the myblock directory does maven insist on
placing the commons-logging and log4j jar files into WEB-INF/lib even
though I've expressly excluded them?  Maybe the answer has something to
do with the cocoon-maven-plugin?

Also, since my last message, I came across the Shielded Classloader [2]
which explicitly mentions the problem of using your own logging
framework and how the shielded classloader may help.

I'm hoping that once I have these issues sorted out I'll write it up to
help others travelling this route for the first time.

Regards,
David Legg

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1159_1_1.html
[2]