cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tags in the value of an XSLT variable?
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:02:46 GMT
Andrew Chamberlain schrieb:
> Hi Betty/Derek,
>
> Thanks for getting back.
>
> Yes, that's certainly helped.  I'm now confident that my variable also
> contains the tags in addition to the values.  It was by changing the "."
> for "@* | node()" that did it.
>
> So my xslt looks like this:
>
>     <xsl:variable name="gml">
>       <xsl:copy-of select="@* | node()"/>
>     </xsl:variable>
>
> However, I now believe this variable is still a Node-Tree, and not a
> String.  I need it to be the latter so I can pass the XML excerpt to the
> Java method I mentioned earlier (using xalan to do so).
>
> Is there a way of casting/translating a node tree into a String?

That would be XML serializing. AFAIK XSLT is not capable of this (I
don't know about XSLT 2.0, though). Why do you have to convert the
fragment to a string? Wouldn't it be more straightforward to pass the
fragment to the Java code, so that it doesn't have to be parsed again?

-- Andreas

"Betty Harvey" <harvey@eccnet.com> wrote:

>> Try this for your xsl:copy:
>>
>> <xsl:copy><xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node()" /></xsl:copy>
>>
>> <quote who="Andrew Chamberlain">
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> It's quite possible that this is more XSLT-related than Cocoon itself,
>>> but wasn't sure where else to post.
>>>
>>> I'm using an XSL transformer and need to capture a tree fragment in the
>>> value of variable ... including the tags themselves.  The reason for
>>> this is because I need to pass the XML excerpt (as a string) to a Java
>>> class which is specifically written to parse it.
>>>
>>> I'm trying the following, but this only seems to include the values, and
>>> not the tags:
>>>
>>>     <xsl:variable name="gml">
>>>       <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
>>>     </xsl:variable>
>>>
>>> Can anyone help?  Is there a trick for this?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> --
>> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal
notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH