cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Tutorial improvement suggestion
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:04:44 GMT
David Legg pisze:
> Grek,
>
>> The only missing thing is the actual archetype catalog XML file.
>> David, would you like to prepare own? I'm not sure how archetype
>> plug-in supports this file generation but even if support is bad you
>> could always prepare the catalog by hand (fortunately enough, the list
>> is not long for us).
>
> I've generated the archetype catalog.  I've attached it to this email.
> It wasn't too difficult... just had to run "mvn archetype:crawl" and it
> placed the new file in my local repository
> ([MAVEN_REPO]/.m2/repository/archetype-catalog.xml).  I then edited this
> manually to change the order of the archetypes listed from simplest to
> most complex and added some human understandable descriptions.  I've
> confirmed that the following command works with a local copy of the
> catalog: -
>
>  mvn archetype:generate
> -DarchetypeCatalog=file://c:\temp\archetype-catalog.xml
>
> and generates the following interactive questions: -
>
>  [INFO] Scanning for projects...
>  [INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
>  [INFO] [archetype:generate]
>  [INFO] Generating project in Interactive mode
>  [INFO] No archetype defined. Using maven-archetype-quickstart
> (org.apache.maven.
>  archetypes:maven-archetype-quickstart:1.0)
>  Choose archetype:
>  1: local -> cocoon-22-archetype-block-plain (Creates an empty Cocoon
> block)
>  2: local -> cocoon-22-archetype-block (Creates a minimal Cocoon block)
>  3: local -> cocoon-22-archetype-webapp (Creates a web application
> Cocoon block)
>  Choose a number:  (1/2/3): Choose archetype:
>
> There is a caveat though.  I noticed on the Maven bug list [3] that some
> earlier versions of the plugin didn't handle local or remote catalog
> files.  However this seems to have been fixed in the 2.0 alpha-3 version.

AFAIK, Maven will pick up the latest version so that's not a problem.

Thanks for taking care of creating of this file. However, if we are going to upload it to
our site
we need an explicit sign of contribution for legal reasons. Therefore I would like to ask
you to
create a JIRA issue[4] and attach your file to it. Then we can proceed.

> So if someone would place this file on the site and update the
> documentation page we should be good to go.  I registered on the Cocoon
> documentation site [2] to see if I could update the pages myself but
> quickly discovered this doesn't let me actually create or edit the
> documentation :-(

Take a look at:
http://cocoon.apache.org/1273_1_1.html

There you find instructions how to contribute to the documentation.

> Of course this file will have to be updated from time to time.

Yep, every time new archetype is being released but it's not a big deal.

> I have a feeling that Reinhard Pötz is our man for this ;-)  He authored
> the Maven archetype plugin list [2].  This page isn't easy to find so
> there should at least be a link to it from the tutorial pages.

David, what about the link in the horizontal menu below search field?

BTW We try to avoid establishing desolated islands of the responsibility/interest. Even though

Reinhard's huge work is undeniable there are other folks that can share the responsibility.
That's
how community should work.

[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON

Thanks again for your sweet work!