cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Type 'serverpages' does not exist for 'map:generate'
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:10:04 GMT
Joerg Heinicke pisze:
> On 04.06.2008 02:25, Derek Hohls wrote:
>
>> XSP is not available in Cocooon 2.2 - see:
>> http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=120349702914226&w=2 where the
>> developers suggest you migrate your code to use
>> java objects + flowscript + template.
>>
>> Alternatively, stick to Cocoon 2.1 unless you have some other
>> critical reasons to use 2.2
>
> XSP is "available", it's just that the block infrastructure has not been
> migrated yet to Cocoon 2.2/Maven. I don't think (but somebody might
> correct me here) that actual code needs to be changed. So the migration
> should be rather easy.

Warning: I'm stating my own opinion here, nothing official or something like that.

There are at least three problems with XSP:
1. No active committer is interested in XSP anymore, and even more, hardly anyone wants to
invest
her time in technology that seems to be deprecated in every dev's head but still block is
not
officially marked as deprecated.
2. The only reason why people keep trying to use XSP is that it has decent documentation on
our site
and this documentation has no information about XSP status. We should really explain people
that
Templates + Flowscript is much better approach.
3. XSP is really old technique and is not maintained by anyone (again officially, at dev/commits

list). I'm not the one willing to take costs of XSP maintenance in C2.2 therefore I'll probably
vote
-1 for any actions leading to release of XSP block for C2.2. This is my first such a strong
voice in
this case but I firmly believe it's a high time have a concrete opinion.

Still, I'm open for discussion of course.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski