cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alfred Nathaniel <anathan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Type 'serverpages' does not exist for 'map:generate'
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:02:32 GMT
On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 19:10 +0200, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> Warning: I'm stating my own opinion here, nothing official or something like that.
>
> There are at least three problems with XSP:
> 1. No active committer is interested in XSP anymore, and even more, hardly anyone wants
to invest
> her time in technology that seems to be deprecated in every dev's head but still block
is not
> officially marked as deprecated.

I may be not as active as you but I am a committer who is still very
interested in XSP.  In may daytime job we have 1000+ XSPs in production
and no intention to drop that technology in the forseeable future.  XSP
has its shortcomings and pitfalls but after 7 years experience we know
how to handle that.

> 2. The only reason why people keep trying to use XSP is that it has decent documentation
on our site
> and this documentation has no information about XSP status. We should really explain
people that
> Templates + Flowscript is much better approach.

I think the reason why XSP appeals to newcomer is that the concept is
familiar from JSP, and it is a combination of the three core
technologies which Cocoon handles extremely well:
XSP = XML + XSLT + Java.

Personally, I still do not consider Flowscript an alternative for
enterprise websites for three reasons:

a.) Serverside JavaScript is an additional level in the technology stack
you and your team have to master.
b.) I would not bet my head on Rhino being threadsafe, and it is such a
big beast to debug it yourself.
c.) Continuations are a great idea, but how do you know when it is safe
to free the memory?

> 3. XSP is really old technique and is not maintained by anyone (again officially, at
dev/commits
> list). I'm not the one willing to take costs of XSP maintenance in C2.2 therefore I'll
probably vote
> -1 for any actions leading to release of XSP block for C2.2. This is my first such a
strong voice in
> this case but I firmly believe it's a high time have a concrete opinion.

XSP is a really mature technology which hardly needs any maintenance any
more.  The reason why the XSP block (as many other blocks) is not
released yet is actually more of a C2.2 issue than an XSP problem.

> Still, I'm open for discussion of course.

I'd prefer to have this sort of discussion on the dev-list.

Cheers, Alfred.