cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [AW] [2.2] Dynamically generating XML tags in JXTemplates
Date Sun, 25 May 2008 12:01:17 GMT
Kamal pisze:
> Hi,
> I am following up on an mail message I made a while back. Specifically,
> about support for jx:element tag.
>
> Last I left it, the question was put to the Dev team as to whether we
> can actually do this (ie there are no objections to the functionality).
> Based on this post [1], I take it there are none. I would really like
> this functionality, so I have two questions,

Yep, you are right. I don't have an idea why I thought it was a problematic thing to implement.

Nevertheless, having something like <jx:element/> would be handy.

> 1. Is anyone working on this?

Don't think so. Anyway, I can help since I have quite good understanding of Template block.

> 2. If not, is possible to point me in the right direction so that I can
> make this a reality?

If there is no fundamental obstacle this should be very easy to implement. Basically, you
need to
checkout cocoon-template-impl[1] module and implement your own template instruction. Have
a look at
their listing[2]. You should implement something similar to the jx:out[3] instruction. The
name of
element should be obtained from compiled expression similar why jx:out does it.

> I have a lot of functionality that relies on the xsp:element tag, and
> there doesn't seem to be anything analogous in the JXTemplate world,
> which makes moving away from XSPs very difficult (yes, I know I can use
> the xmlize, but I would still have to generate the XML in the first
> place, which could get messy in flowscript). Also, I have a bunch of
> dynamic forms that would probably simplify (a little) with this
> functionality.

+1.

If you need any further help don't hesitate to ask. Preferably on dev@ list since this is
purely dev