cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Kamal Bhatt <kbh...@tt.com.au>
Subject Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.2.0 Released
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 23:55:35 GMT
Reinhard Haller wrote:
> Hi Kamal,
>
> Kamal Bhatt schrieb:
>> I had a rant about this about a month back. Basically, Cocoon
>> documentation is now a mess.
>>
> I started with cocoon 2.0. If you remember the scope as explained in
> the "What is" documentation:
>
> Apache Cocoon is an XML publishing framework
>
> Cocoon 2.2 lacks nearly all prerequisites to fulfill the old promise.
> I've no interest to program Java-
> components, I want to manipulate XML contents in a structured way
> (using XSLT) to present them.
> Generators, transformers, actions, serializers should help me to
> accomplish tasks difficult to realize in
> a pure XSLT environment.
>
> Given the actual documentation it is easier to get the work done with
> XSLT than with Cocoon. From
> my point of view the developers of 2.2 have lost the user perspective
> of their work.

I kinda agree with this. However, in fairness, once you get a better
understanding of Cocoon 2.2 you realise it isn't that different in
comparison to 2.1. Unfortunately, right now, I would not recommend
anyone who hasn't had experience with Cocoon 2.1 should use cocoon 2.2.

The biggest issues I have with Cocoon 2.2 (aside from the twisted
documentation) is the following:

* No decent replacement to XSPs (I know JXtemplates + FlowScript is the
intended replacement, but there is so much you cannot do in JXtemplate
right now, for example, dynamically creating elements)
* A push away from external sitemaps and map:mount. I know that the  new
Servlet Framework is great, but it makes migration a little more
difficult IMHO.
* Maven is a mixed blessing. When it works, it is great, but I think
most people on this list (including myself) struggle with Maven. The ant
scripts were twisted, but they were transparent, Maven simply isn't
transparent.

All that said, I think the whole process of building is simpler and more
refined (when it works) and many of us do have a requirement to have
Java code bundled with Cocoon, and Cocoon 2.2 gives us this. It also
gives us a reasonable environment to work in. It isn't perfect, but it
does allow testing and (when it works) makes deployments simple.

Anyway, in summary, if you have some experience with 2.1 and you don't
have 101 XSPs, I recommend moving to 2.2, otherwise, use 2.1.

--
Kamal Bhatt