cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.2.0 Released
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 13:40:39 GMT
I am obviously not reading carefully enough...
cinclude is deprecated?   what is meant to be its replacement??

Thanks
Derek

Kamal Bhatt <kbhatt@tt.com.au> wrote:
Reinhard Haller wrote:
> Reinhard Pötz schrieb:
>>
>>   The Apache Cocoon Community is proud to announce the release of
>>   Cocoon 2.2.0.
> Thanks a lot!
>>
>>   Cocoon 2.2 introduces the idea of blocks. A block is the unit of
>>   modularization in Cocoon, allowing the framework to be built upon.
(in
>>   comparison: Eclipse uses the term plugins, OSGi uses bundles).
> I'm using many different generators/transformers im the 2.1.10 based

> webapp. Where do
> I find the detailed documentation about the needed blocks for
> xpathdirectory-generator,
> sourcewriting-transformer, parser-transformer, calendar-generator
etc.?
> Is there a 1:1 mapping of core sitemap components between 2.1.x and
2.2?

I had a rant about this about a month back. Basically, Cocoon
documentation is now a mess.

Basically, go here:

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/core/2.2/1006_1_1.html

You MAY find what you are looking for under "Sitemap Components".  I
say
may because most of the documetentation is actually in the Javadoc.

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/core/2.2/apidocs/index.html

Basically, work out the class for the transformer you are interested
in,
(from the first URL) then go to the Javadoc.

The "daisy" documentation is better:

http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs/g1/g1/g2/853.html?branch=1&language=1

If only because it is annotated and has direct links to the javadoc.
Unfortunately, it has the same insane structure.

I put the blame on Maven. I know it is more convenient to have
documentation generated by Maven, but it makes for an appalling
website.
Hopefully, in future releases there may be some effort put into
reorganise the information so humans can navigate it.

Last I looked, most of the functionality was ported across. A lot of
things have been deprecated (cinclude, XSP, etc...), so be aware of
this. If you want information about migration options, I recommend
looking at my various posts last month on Cocoon 2.2 migration.
Grzegorz
and others discussed all the various migration options.

FYI, we have held off on migrating to Cocoon 2.2, but that is not
because of Cocoon 2.2s functionality. As frustrating as certain aspects

of Cocoon 2.2 can be (confusing documentation being top of the list), I

would recommend upgrading to Cocoon 2.2 if only for a saner development

environment.