cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Kjetil Kjernsmo <Kjetil.Kjern...@computas.com>
Subject Re: Setting a pipeline for true XHTML
Date Wed, 21 May 2008 07:24:16 GMT
On Tuesday 20 May 2008 19:54:11 David Legg wrote:
> If you're interested, there is a very good classic article [1] of the
> reasons why using XHTML is considered harmful.

Yup, I know hixie both personally and technically (we worked together at
Opera), and I think all his arguments are invalid, and frameworks like Cocoon
prove it. In modern web frameworks, it is trivial to serialize to different
formats, and while there are subtle differences, they are trivially resolved
with a few lines of XSLT and a simple pipeline. I know that Cocoon can do it
too, but not quite how yet.  :-) Hixie was never exposed to a proper
framework, so he is of the faulty impression that these things are hard, thus
the statement "Steps 1 to 5 have been seen by every single person I have
spoken to who has switched to using the XHTML MIME type."

Kind regards

Kjetil Kjernsmo
--
Senior Knowledge Engineer
Direct: +47 6783 1136 | Mobile: +47 986 48 234

|  SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE  |

Computas AS  Vollsveien 9, PO Box 482, N-1327 Lysaker | Phone:+47 6783 1000 |
Fax:+47 6783 1001