cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Heather Rankin" <Heather.Ran...@bbc.co.uk>
Subject RE: Strange XSLT transformer behaviour?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:30:37 GMT
Thanks all. Sorry for confusing everyone - I wasn't thinking. You are of course right, this
is exactly how XSLT is supposed to work!

And to Warrell: The BBC are not officially using Cocoon yet, we're just trialling some projects
with it to see how it works :-)

Heather

-----Original Message-----
From: Rainer Pruy [mailto:Rainer.Pruy@Acrys.COM]
Sent: 22 April 2008 15:25
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: Strange XSLT transformer behaviour?

Hi Heather,
nothing strange here. It is eaxctly how XSLT works.

Your templat (fragment) says:

a) at the root of the document to be processed, start a "p" element.
b) then add anything form processing <xsl:apply-template..../> (*)
c) then end the "p" element opened above
d) then add the constant rest (<p>....</p>)

(*) This template will require the path "html/head/title" to be matched for applying.

Thus, if the template(s) that will match the apply-templates does not output anything the
"p" from steps (a and c) will be empty (as you did observe).

Overall, it does not reference *itself*.
It is a template. It outputs any static parts and interprets the rest according XSLT semantics.

If you want to get the putput suppressed in case the apply-templates call does not match,
you might try the following:

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:if test="html/head/title">
stuff</p> </xsl:if> </xsl:template>

Rainer

Heather Rankin schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie. Using Cocoon 2.1.11 and the following simple pipeline:
>
> <map:match pattern="submit-url">
> 	<map:generate src="{request-param:url}" type="html" />
> 	<map:transform src="stylesheets/form-wrapper.xsl" type="xslt"/>
> 	<map:serialize type="xhtml" />
> </map:match>
>
> I noticed some strange XSLT behaviour where, on a failed template
> match, the XSL appears to reference *itself* as the input XML doc. In
> other words, let's say I have this xsl template:
>
> <xsl:template match="/">
more
> stuff</p> </xsl:template>
>
> The apply-templates fails because I haven't included the xhtml
> namespace in my xpath. But instead of just producing nothing, I get a
> fragment of the xsl template in the serialised output that looks
> something like
> this:

> Bizarre? If I correct the template and reference the xhtml namespace
> properly - no problem. I just thought it was strange that the XSL
> would seemingly call itself like this... Maybe I've observed things wrong?
> Could anyone clarify?
>
> Heather
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/
> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which
are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
> Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and
notify the sender immediately.

Rainer Pruy
Geschäftsführer

Acrys Consult GmbH & Co. KG
Untermainkai 29-30, D-60329 Frankfurt
Tel: +49-69-244506-0 - Fax: +49-69-244506-50
Web: http://www.acrys.com -  Email: office@acrys.com
Handelsregister: Frankfurt am Main, HRA 31151