cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alec Bickerton <alec.bicker...@minick.ch>
Subject Re: RequestWrapper and the case of the Nullpointer
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:38:38 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2008, at 12:30 PM, Alec Bickerton wrote:
[snip]
>> I can't be more specific because this ONLY occurs when tomcat is
>> started without a debugger. If I attach the debugger, it seem that the
>> RequestWrapper initialises correctly and the parameter is found.
[snip]

   at org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.getParameter(Request.java:1040) at org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade.getParameter(RequestFacade.java:355)
at org.apache.cocoon.environment.http.HttpRequest.getParameter(HttpRequest.java:316) at org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
>at org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
>at org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
>at org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
>at org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
>at org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
>at org.apache.cocoon.environment.wrapper.RequestWrapper.getParameter(RequestWrapper.java:123)
>at ch.minick.portal.cocoon.environment.HttpServletRequestAdapter.getParameter(HttpServletRequestAdapter.java:160)
catalina.connector.Request.parseParameters(Request.java:2426)

> Without knowing code at that line, I can only guess that there is
> something wrong with incoming request and tomcat fails to parse it...
I hadn't so I did a little bit of digging through the Tomcat 6.0.14
source over the evening. It gets more interesting as the code at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.parseParameters(Request.java:2426)
is shown below.

if (!getMethod().equalsIgnoreCase("POST"))
	return;

for completeness...

     /**
      * Return the HTTP request method used in this Request.
      */
     public String getMethod() {
         return coyoteRequest.method().toString();
     }

... Coyote.Request

     public MessageBytes method() {
         return methodMB; <-- This value is initialised in the class
declaration.
     }

     public MessageBytes requestURI() {
         return uriMB;<-- This value is initialised in the class
declaration.
     }

     public String toString() {
         return "R( " + requestURI().toString() + ")";
     }

Unless I'm being a bit thick, it doesn't explain why the getMethod()
appears to sometimes return null.

The Java version being used is java version "1.6.0_05" server

One for the tomcat mailing list I think.

Alec